Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] Large GCC-5 TRANSITION, Heavy DIST-UPGRADE pending  (Read 80070 times)

Offline hschn

• User
@horo
+++1
I'm interestet in debian, pc etc,
but not in any shitstorm
hschn
Mögen hätt' ich schon wollen, aber dürfen habe ich mich nicht getraut (Karl Valentin)

domicius

Quote from: titan
I think siduction is loosing  the plot. It is meant to be totally compatible with sid which this thread illustrates it is not. The devs should be supporting upgrading KDE with pure Debian repros only, not an incompatible  bespoke siduction/Ubuntu repro. I think a lot of users of kdenext will only be prolonging their transition back to kde sid.  There are plenty of other desktops available to use while waiting for KDE to emerge from the current transitional chaos. A lot of the current problems could have been avoided if the kdenext thread had been put into the experimental section of the forum and the main support for the gcc and qt5 transition pinned at the top of the upgrade section.
kdenext is optional, and for that matter you don't even have to use towo's kernels, right? ;)

But there are many users who appreciate both of these contributions and don't want to use "other" desktops either.

And please, people, let's be careful about suggesting other people what to use, because while there are "plenty of other desktops available to use" (it's not like we don't know that), one can say there are plenty of other distributions and operating systems. One can even claim to another fellow forum member they can live without any of the packages/software they currently use and rely upon, because see, "we don't use them we're OK". ;) But if we go in that direction, where will we end up?

Also, the current situation isn't about "an incompatible bespoke siduction/Ubuntu repro" but due to Debian's GCC 5 transition (please read the linked broadcast to the Debian mailinglist). This transitions is far from over yet (at 39% currently, as you can see).

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Quote from: horo
Hi,

Me again - I want to bring my proposal from ^^^^ (far far above) to attention again - please split this topic into the original pro kdenext one (don't do anything until Santa tells you) and a more adventurous "I want to DU and I want it now!"-thread, with guidance how to pick up the pieces.
And maybe a third one with technical discussion without "ad-hominem" who is right and who is wrong - if a prudent moderator like e.g. devil would guide the hotheads we technical-minded users will benefit for sure.
THX

Ciao, Martin

P.S.: while typing I read piper's last post and it reinforces my opinion.

P.P.S.: Please stop "slam"ming siduction!
If your comparing me to Slam by me saying this

"Without debian and their packages, ubuntu WOULD NOT EXIST

I don't know where you have been since ubuntu came into this world, but, ubuntu has always been based and built on debian."

It's time for me to leave, you win, I quit.

devil, delete my mod privileges, been a hell of a ride starting with KDE 1.0 and linux since the mid 90's
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline sunrat

• User
+1 @horo
I like that I can use kdenext and highly value Santa's contribution. I have not d-u since this thread started and eagerly but patiently await advice for when it is safe to do so. My system is working fine with only a couple of minor niggles brought on by the initial KF5 inflow, not gcc5.
And I'm sad to see what can only be described as flaming, as a major reason I have been using siduction for a few years is the hereto civility of the community compared to some of the other distros I have seen.

Offline vilde

• User
I have been away for a couple of weeks and coming back to find this moaning about and in this thread. It's unfair.

As amateur i feel this has been the most troublesome upgrade time or transition time or whatever it's called as long I have been on this train (since Kanotix) and I think this has been handled very well from the siduction team.

Siduction is Debian unstable, there will be trouble, and I'm here because I trust the the siduction team to handle the trouble for me, and my opinion is that they are doing it very well.

This transition has been affecting all of us not only kde users, my posts here about being able to d-u my fxce boxes was not for telling how good I am (because I'm  not) it was for only to show what was possible, at least for me, and to give that information to other users  and developers.

Offline horo

• User
Hi piper,

As you address me I'll answer directly. I did'nt call YOU a slammer but if you think the shoe fits - wear it.
Your selective citation that omitted the nasty cheap shots doesn't calm down the hot mood.
I have never, in my lifetime seen anything like this
Why on earth does everyone in the debian world know this except you ?
I'm with you in going the debian way, my system is kdenext-free - but please let's discuss technical and not ad-hominem. I'm on the kanotix-sidux-aptosid-siduction-way since years and have seen that words can do much more harm than bugs, buffer overflows and software patents together.
Please calm down and talk _with_ each other - not against!

Piper, Santa et.al.: Could we consider some other options than dropping your good work in midstream. Your contribution is needed and highly appreciated.

Ciao, Martin

omnia vincit pecunia :(

Offline titan

• User

kdenext is optional, and for that matter you don't even have to use towo's kernels, right? ;)

But there are many users who appreciate both of these contributions and don't want to use "other" desktops either.

And please, people, let's be careful about suggesting other people what to use, because while there are "plenty of other desktops available to use" (it's not like we don't know that), one can say there are plenty of other distributions and operating systems.

Forums are a difficult medium to converse in, I think you have taken a lot of what I said out of context. Most of the problems on siduction regarding KDE are in my opinion due to kdenext being endorsed as the way forward by siduction, if not overtly then subliminally by pinning this thread where it is. Because of this some users now are stuck in an unenviable position where it looks like the packager may stop work before the full transition and they will have a broken KDE. For those of us who use siduction as our main PC an alternative desktop is a viable option during the transition, I was not telling anyone what  to do. If you look at the aptosid forum in comparison there has only been a few posts about KDE's transition

domicius

Forums are a difficult medium to converse in, I think you have taken a lot of what I said out of context.

I completely agree about the difficulty to convey messages in written form sometimes and if it seems I've taken anything out of context, that wasn't on purpuse, it was just how I read your (and not just your) post.

For those of us who use siduction as our main PC an alternative desktop is a viable option during the transition, I was not telling anyone what  to do.

I understand that and I fall in that category. By closely watching this subforum and always "listening" to apt-get before agreeing on DU, I still do my daily job (on this frankensystem I've had since many years ago based first only on sid, then aptosid and now siduction - yes, I don't like to mess with my installations, nor desktops for that matter, once I set things how I like them, I tend to keep them a long time that way, even forgetting they're not the default, so any disturbance in that is bad for me - kind of hate KDE upgrades, they always seem to ignore (at least some of) my previous settings).

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Can we please stop using this thread as a forum for bickering. This thread is supposed to inform users about the state of affairs without the need to wade through hateful accusations back and forth. Thank you.
If Santa leaves the team, he will do so after the transition is done and kdenext fully upgradable again. He then will also provide means to migrate to debian proper.

Regarding splitting the thread: That already happened in the form of the KF5 issues thread .
« Last Edit: 2015/09/30, 20:49:08 by devil »

Offline ghstryder

• User
Thank you, Devil!

Santa

Can we please stop using this thread as a forum for bickering. This thread is supposed to inform users about the state of affairs without the need to wade through hateful accusations back and forth. Thank you.
If Santa leaves the team, he will do so after the transition is done and kdenext fully upgradable again. He then will also provide means to migrate to debian proper.

Regarding splitting the thread: That already happened in the form of the KF5 issues thread .

Thanks for clarifying that.

kdenext was upgraded today, please read:
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5801.0

Offline terroreek

• User
I'd like to add that I was able to successfully upgrade one of my gnome (indiansummer) installs, haven't done it on my laptop(december) just yet.

Only think I can note is that cheese crashes when it finds my webcam or launches but can't find my webcam. 

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Hello terroreek,

yes, all the other siduction desktops (gnome, cinnamon, xfce, lxde and lxqt) are upgradable. Please keep in mind, after dist-upgrading you can't install old packages that still depend on libstdc++6 version < 5.2.

Also work is in progress to get the Mate desktop into siduction and LXQT into debian.

Now it is a good time to close this thread.

Feel free to open new threads for individual questions.

greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2015/10/02, 01:12:50 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)