Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Download problems  (Read 2582 times)

paleoflatus

[EN] Download problems
« on: 2014/05/17, 03:00:55 »
I had a hardware problem which was best fixed by a re-install, so downloaded the December/January version, but it refused to render properly on my screen, so I loaded Debian instead.
I'd now like to look at the current development release, but wget -nc from your web-site crashed half-way through and wouldn't re-start, as it repeatedly interpreted about 280 MB as a complete download. I tried again from Berlin University with Konqueror, but it stopped at 612.4 MB and wouldn't continue, although I left it running overnight.
I still have the incomplete iso file. I'm stuck in Australia with an expensive and limited wireless connection. Is there a way I can use the incomplete file?

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Download problems
« Reply #1 on: 2014/05/17, 07:11:11 »
wget -c should pick up aborted downloads. But keep in mind that the dev-release from last week is not really suited for productive work.

greetz
devil

paleoflatus

« Reply #2 on: 2014/05/17, 07:13:43 »
My apologies (Slaps forehead). I think I must have tried to download before the servers were fully loaded.
I started from scratch today and it's come down beautifully.
I keep well backed up onto a USB drive, so I'll load it and see how it goes.
By the way, you people are my heroes and I appreciate what you do for us all.

I just saw your reply, devil. Greetings and thanks. It's good to have you there.

paleoflatus

« Reply #3 on: 2014/05/17, 23:09:10 »
Devil,
I've taken your advice. It looks good and runs well, running live off the DVD and that's good enough for now.
It's a nuisance having to use a long Cat 5 cable to install ralink and wireless tools at every boot, but I'll check today whether I can do that with ceni, through usb tethering to my Nexus 5 phone.
I think the complete release will be a winner.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/05/27, 02:22:48 »
Nice to know other people in Australia are using siduction. :) Georgia Tech is usually the fastest siduction mirror for me from Melbourne.
I usually put downloaded packages such as wireless firmware on a USB key from another computer and install them with dpkg on the fresh installation from there, if I don't have internet on the new one.

paleoflatus

« Reply #5 on: 2014/05/27, 03:31:16 »
Thanks for coming in, Sunrat. I'm an ancient retiree on the Gold Coast. I've used only Linux since Gael Duval released Mandrake - similar to Red Hat, but with a very early version of KDE - around the time that IBM lost the plot with that excellent OS/2. Gael was very patient and helpful at the time - like our Siduction gurus. I've stuck with KDE ever since, but I'm watching LXQt and QupZilla closely, as they look like maturing into something similar, but more suited to my ageing hardware.
I'll take your advice about Georgia Tech and I'll put those two wireless binaries on a spare SD card (plugged into a reader), as I'm sure I'll need that when the current release is replaced by a nice stable one.
I'm glad you're also having a great Indian Summer down there in Melbourne.