Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] lightdm not starting desktop (any variety)  (Read 7154 times)

LRC1962

[EN] lightdm not starting desktop (any variety)
« on: 2014/06/13, 17:17:09 »
Tried KDE and LXDE and both just returned me back to lightdm.
Hypothesis something to do with xorg. Hit ctrl-alt-F1. go into user ($) mode.
1st test. startlxde
Code: [Select]
$startlxde

(lxsession:4785): Gtk-WARNING**: cannot open display:
2nd test. startkde
$startkde
$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X server.

3rd test root.
#export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; startx
that went into lxde with absolutely no trouble, in root though.
Conclusion some conf file is not set or loading as it should for display to work.

I was going to post separately but then maybe part of a similar issue. cupd is not loading at start.
In lxde the is an apt call systemadmin. It gives all services and their status . for cups.service apatche2.service and cups.socket it says failed. Now when
#cupd and do not exit command cups works perfectly. Setup drivers and printed. exit command and cups dies. so somewhere systemd is not loading cupd as it should and therefore I am not able to print on demand although as long as cupsd is loaded it works as it should. Is there someway I can get it running? I do understand that with systemd things are different and therefore do not know what I can do to fix things. I do understand it is a different issue, but if they are both an issue of systemd having trouble then I maybe able to fix them both at the same time.

« Last Edit: 2014/06/13, 17:38:19 by LRC1962 »

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: lightdm not starting desktop (any variety)
« Reply #1 on: 2014/06/13, 23:18:46 »
mount $HOME rw - in most cases thats all.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

LRC1962

[SOLVED]Re: lightdm not starting desktop (any variety)
« Reply #2 on: 2014/06/15, 02:00:24 »
Your right copied home and forgot to keep permissions. Fixed when I changed.
AS for cupsd still in the same spot. Although did find out how to recreate the errors at boot.
root@******:/media/home/******# systemctl status cups.service
cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Sat 2014-06-14 18:32:11 EDT; 12min ago
     Docs: man:cupsd(
           man:cupsd.conf(5)
  Process: 1716 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/cupsd -f (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)

Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Started CUPS Printing Service.
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1716]: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr...ed
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: cups.service: main process exited, code=e...CE
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Unit cups.service entered failed state.
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Starting CUPS Printing Service...
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: cups.service start request repeated too q...t.
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Failed to start CUPS Printing Service.
root@******:/media/home/******# systemctl status cups.service
cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Sat 2014-06-14 18:32:11 EDT; 12min ago
     Docs: man:cupsd(
           man:cupsd.conf(5)
  Process: 1716 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/cupsd -f (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)

Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Started CUPS Printing Service.
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1716]: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/sbin/cupsd: Operation not permitted
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: cups.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Unit cups.service entered failed state.
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Starting CUPS Printing Service...
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: cups.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Failed to start CUPS Printing Service.
root@******:/media/home/******# systemctl status cups.socket
cups.socket - CUPS Printing Service Sockets
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.socket; enabled)
      Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/cups.socket.d
               └─cupsd-listen.conf
       Active: failed (Result: service-failed-permanent) since Sat 2014-06-14 18:32:11 EDT; 19min ago
       Listen: /var/run/cups/cups.sock (Stream)
               127.0.0.1:631 (Stream)
               [::1]:631 (Stream)

Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: Unit cups.socket entered failed state.
It appears that
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1716]: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/sbin/cupsd: Operation not permitted
Jun 14 18:32:11 ****** systemd[1]: cups.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
Did find out though that the problem is that I have /var/tmp/ symlinked. Apparently CUPS objects to that. Now I can get it working with
#cupsdIs there a desktop script I can put together that issues the cupsd command? I do not need it that much because I do not print that much.

LRC1962

[SOLVED]Re: lightdm not starting desktop (any variety)
« Reply #3 on: 2014/06/15, 02:17:57 »
Got it figured out
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Start Printer
Comment=Starts cups
Exec=gksu cupsd
Icon=configure-cups
Type=Application

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #4 on: 2014/06/15, 02:56:34 »
Wow, did you bring like  /home, /var, /etc, /usr, etc,   over from an existing system or worse, another system/distro  ?
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

LRC1962

« Reply #5 on: 2014/06/17, 17:23:31 »
Actually Piper just /home. and the desktop I am using lxde where I was using kde. Haven't tried that yet. Also original distro used was aptosid and I continued on with siduction at the changeover. Found main road block was using desktop to copy while I was in root, and that messed up all the permissions. Advantage I have found so far as I reinstall my apps is that all configurations were the same as I left them.
Another big road block I found was in placing /home /tmp /var/tmp and /var/cache/ onto deferent partitions. The Live CD seemed to suggest it was going to do it and I found in my case just created a directory in each partition but no symlinking it bewteen boot partition and other partition. Got that fixed and running well.
As for CUPS got it running at boot. Answer was, keep the symlinks as is, but another step is also needed. Add these lines to fstab at the end.
/var/tmp        /media/(HD partition)/var/tmp     bind         defaults,noatime,bind                         0    0
/var/spool       /media/(HD partition)/var/spool   bind         defaults,noatime,bind                         0    0
/var/cache        /media/(HD partition)/var/spool   bind         defaults,noatime,bind                         0    0

Not sure which if all is needed. Without those lines cups refused to work unless I ran cupsd in desktop. With those lines added cups starts running at bootup.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/06/18, 01:29:05 »
I don't recommend using a seperate /home (MO) , and carrying a home from another distro is grounds for disaster.

Not saying it can't be done, but you have to know what your doing, different distro's different configs, etc.

Keep it clean & simple.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: 2014/06/18, 02:08:44 »
The problem with a common /home that is used by different OS's, is, the many hidden "dot" files.  In those files are the config data for your browsers and software packages, and if different distros have different versions, the "dot" files get all screwed up, and your software does not work as expected (or at all).

So, make a directory,

# mkdir -p /mnt/DATA

and in that directory make your data folders, "DOCS", "IMAGES", "MUSIC", "VIDEOS", "PROJECTS", and whatever.  Mount that in /etc/fstab, in each different OS.  Now symlink those directories to your ~/home/user directory in each OS, and you will have no worries about the hidden config files.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

LRC1962

« Reply #8 on: 2014/06/18, 04:10:10 »
If I was jumping to Ubuntu or some other entirely distro I would not do that. In this case since I was using what I thought was basically the same thing, I took a shot at it. In my case I guess I hit the jackpot. Actually I am now in KDE and it is working better then before (had some irritating bugs in it that Drove me nuts at times). Much thanks for all your help.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/06/18, 04:15:53 »
aptosid & siduction are different