Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Beware of testing some other distros.  (Read 4027 times)

paleoflatus

[EN] Beware of testing some other distros.
« on: 2013/02/18, 04:27:13 »
I fell into a trap yesterday; I downloaded and installed Chakra in a spare partition (hda7) for a quick look at it and it destroyed my GRUB bootloader, failing to recognise Siduction and offering only Chakra at boot. I tried unsuccessfully to add Siduction to GRUB, but couldn't. I wanted to keep my faithful, updated and reconfigured Siduction on hda1, so I reformatted the Chakra partition (hda7) and installed a recent Siduction release in its place. All went well until the reboot, when GRUB failed to appear at all.
Finally, I reformatted hda7 yet again and installed Toorox in it. Lo and behold, the problem was solved and GRUB appeared with Siduction as first choice and Toorox at the bottom of the list, giving me a functioning dual boot.
Additional facts: I found Chakra clunky and it wouldn't install my nVidia driver, although it was downloaded OK. Toorox had much the same problem and their clock programme crashed every time I tried to set my time zone. I've used Siduction since the beginning of time and haven't yet seen anything better (loud clapping for the devs).

Offline michaaa62

• User
Beware of testing some other distros.
« Reply #1 on: 2013/02/18, 08:27:51 »
You should have used the siduction-Live-CD or -Live-USB to just repair the grub installation of your siduction install like in the manual section here: http://manual.siduction.org/en/sys-admin-grub2-en.htm#grub2

This saved my lower end a couple of times when playing with other distros or other OSes, like Windows.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2013/02/18, 08:49:38 »
Also, to have a tool like boot-repair at hand on a usb-stick can come in handy. http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

greetz
devil

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/02/18, 09:16:50 »
Nice and helpful tool if one's in trouble!

Wouldn't it make sence to integrate it on the isos?

greets
ayla

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: Beware of testing some other distros.
« Reply #4 on: 2013/02/18, 15:47:10 »
Quote from: "devil"
Also, to have a tool like boot-repair at hand on a usb-stick can come in handy. http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

greetz
devil

Looks like a nice utility...has anyone tested this? If it works it would be nice to have on the siduction ISO for recovering your system if you mess up the  bootloader

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/02/18, 15:51:24 »
It only works from CD/DVD or bootable USB-Stick.

greetz
devil

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/02/18, 16:35:26 »
For me it is too hard to reinstall a fresh boot for my Mac-Mini. I use an old refit special activated from Apple-XOs. I for long wanted to change to a newer refind, which can boot efi-enabled Kernels directly, this way I could wash my disk free of Apple Spyware. But I hesitate hearing about the Linux Efi problems and I see the new refind tool every week updated. Stable behavior I wish...

New installations I don't start if I cannot disable any grub manipulation. The distributions I am most interested in: I am able to dbootstrap them: zypper with special option for openSUSE, Gentoo has special stage3 prebuilds you just unpack. This is the safest method to install just what you want!
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: Beware of testing some other distros.
« Reply #7 on: 2013/02/18, 17:59:35 »
Here is a good reason to use a VM to take the first look at some other distro. Of course you can't test your real hardware, but all the "look and feel" can be checked on the VM before you take risks with your productivity system.  IMHO.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2013/02/18, 23:29:13 »
Hi,

Quote from: "devil"
It only works from CD/DVD or bootable USB-Stick.

hmm:

OR boot on a Debian (or derivatives: Ubuntu, Linux Mint...) disk, either normal session, or live-CD, or live-USB. Then install Boot-Repair in it, either via PPA for Ubuntu/Mint, or DEBs for Debian.

However, that was what I meaned, with "integrate it on the isos":
To have it ready to use on the Live-CD/DVD/Stick, a boot option like memorytest. No need to have it on an installed system I think.
It seems to be debian based so my guess was it would be possible on a siduction live-iso too.
Of course I have no idea how much work this would be or if its possible at all, just a "nice to have" idea for people having the threat starters problem :)

greets
ayla

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/02/19, 11:44:40 »
I also would prefer to have such a tool "at hand" on a siduction-CD/DVD.
Be it as a standalone-tool like memtest or included within the live-iso.

Would be very helpful on some rescue operations 8)

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/02/19, 15:01:10 »
Quote from: "ReinerS"
I also would prefer to have such a tool "at hand" on a siduction-CD/DVD.
Be it as a standalone-tool like memtest or included within the live-iso.

Would be very helpful on some rescue operations 8)

regards

Reiner

I'd say its more of a standalone tool so it should be easy to implement as a boot menu entry on  siduction ISO like memtest is

How many times have you ever tried to reinstall Windows and it ate your grub2 bootsector? :cool:

Perhaps with the next release this could be looked into?

orangeli

« Reply #11 on: 2013/02/21, 20:06:36 »
Back in the Sidux days I already knew to beware of other distros. :)