Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] (Solved)Trying to install Wine from Liquorix repo  (Read 13676 times)

Offline tuxic

• User
[EN] (Solved)Trying to install Wine from Liquorix repo
« on: 2014/11/11, 08:53:53 »
Here I go again. My favorite Windows program just don't run on the Wine version from the Debian repo. I've used it with newer versions of Wine in Ubuntu not so long ago. I'm trying to install the latest version of Wine from the Liquorix repo:

Code: [Select]
tuxic@sid-box:~$ apt-cache policy wine
wine:
  Installed: 1:1.7.28-1
  Candidate: 1:1.7.28-1
  Version table:
 *** 1:1.7.28-1 0
        500 http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.6.2-16 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages

So to be clear I did the regular wine installation with the following:

# apt-get install wine winetricks libwine-openal:i386 libc6-i686:i386 libgpm2:i386 uuid-runtime:i386 libgsm1:i386 libv4l-0:i386 fonts-liberation libwine-gl:i386 libwine-alsa:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386

Then tried to install my WTLIB program, unsuccesful.

After that tried to "update" activating the Liquorix repo and upgrade wine and this is the result:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 wine1.7 : Depends: wine1.7-amd64 (= 1:1.7.28-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Then:

# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  wine1.7-amd64
Recommended packages:                                                                                                                                     
  libcapi20-3 libosmesa6 p11-kit-modules unixodbc                                                                                                         
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  wine1.7-amd64
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
7 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/18.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 144 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 234799 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.28-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking wine1.7-amd64 (1:1.7.28-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.28-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/wine64', which is also in package wine64 1.6.2-16
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/wine1.7-amd64_1%3a1.7.28-1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

If someone have installed the wine version from the Liquorix repo,  please shed some light!

« Last Edit: 2014/11/13, 00:39:21 by tuxic »
"Many people live and die..., and all they do is process groceries."
                  H. Peavey

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Trying to install Wine from Liquorix repo
« Reply #1 on: 2014/11/11, 13:21:02 »
Should have just installed from source, better yet, you can go to the Liquorix forums and ask about his packages and see if
#767626 and #767011 were fixed, also, you should have removed/purged  wine before installing this one.

Really can't comment on the

"I've used it with newer versions of Wine in Ubuntu not so long ago."

because ubuntu is not binary compatible with debian and .debs are made different unless debianized.

Mixing repos can be a dangerous thing unless you know what you are doing, and then, can be a tedious job on fixing.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/11/11, 14:59:27 »
also, you should have removed/purged  wine before installing this one

Thanks Piper.  I tried to purge-remove wine... but what packages? Just wine? Because if I try to remove the whole wine instalation:

# apt-get remove wine winetricks libwine-openal:i386 libc6-i686:i386 libgpm2:i386 uuid-runtime:i386 libgsm1:i386 libv4l-0:i386 fonts-liberation libwine-gl:i386 libwine-alsa:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package 'wine' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'winetricks' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'libwine-alsa:i386' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'libwine-gl:i386' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'libwine-openal:i386' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  astromenace audacious audacious-plugins audacity baloo baloo-utils baloo4 clementine digikam digikam-private-libs dolphin dvdstyler ffmpeg flightgear
  flightgear-data-all flightgear-data-base fonts-liberation gimp gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-dbg gxine gxineplugin kde-baseapps
  kde-plasma-desktop kdenlive kdepim kdepim-strigi-plugins kipi-plugins kopete libasound2-plugins:i386 libav-tools libavcodec55:i386 libavcodec56:i386
  libavdevice56 libavfilter5 libbaloowidgets4 libc6-i686:i386 libgegl-0.2-0 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgpm2:i386 libgsm1:i386 libkfilemetadata4
  libmediastreamer-base3 libmlt++3 libmlt6 libopencv-calib3d2.4 libopencv-contrib2.4 libopencv-features2d2.4 libopencv-highgui2.4 libopencv-legacy2.4
  libopencv-objdetect2.4 libopenscenegraph100 libopenscenegraph99 libsimgearscene3.0.0 libstrigihtmlgui0 libv4l-0:i386 libwxsvg3 libxine2-ffmpeg
  libxine2-plugins libxine2-x melt nepomuk-core-runtime skype:i386 strigi-client strigi-daemon uuid-runtime:i386 vlc xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-data
  xbmc-pvr-argustv xbmc-pvr-demo xbmc-pvr-dvblink xbmc-pvr-dvbviewer xbmc-pvr-iptvsimple xbmc-pvr-mediaportal-tvserver xbmc-pvr-mythtv-cmyth
  xbmc-pvr-nextpvr xbmc-pvr-njoy xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts xbmc-pvr-vdr-vnsi xbmc-pvr-vuplus xbmc-pvr-wmc xbmc-skin-focus xbmc-skin-rapier xbmc-skin-xeebo
  xbmc-standalone xine-plugin xine-ui
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 89 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1,262 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Obviously no...
                  H. Peavey

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
« Reply #3 on: 2014/11/11, 15:06:32 »
Hi tuxic,
a proposal which, although it does not solve your problem, but is useful as a workaround. I would set up a virtual machine (KVM or VBox) with Windows and run your application there. This works easily determined and straightforward to set up.

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/11/11, 15:43:24 »
I would set up a virtual machine (KVM or VBox) with Windows and run your application there. This works easily determined and straightforward to set up.

Thanks bluelupo! I have a dual boot with Windoze on the other side. But I do all my work in the Sid side. I'm trying to just use the Debian side and leave the other OS.  :-\
                  H. Peavey

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/11/12, 10:27:05 »
I'm in communication with the fellows from the Liquorix "Vineyard" so they can guide me in the process.  I'll post the results here as "Experimental". 
                  H. Peavey

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #6 on: 2014/11/12, 11:41:45 »
You can do

apt-get purge wine* ; dpkg --purge wine*
and might want to have a read here

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8a17a13a8a4cda9e12e24a1ad4e1b1aaf043d581

for leftovers.

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: 2014/11/12, 16:39:59 »
Here I go again. My favorite Windows program just don't run on the Wine version from the Debian repo ...

From bitter experience/lots of wasted time, I can tell you there are some Windows applications that will not run on ANY wine version.  I can name two or three genealogy programs, for example.  Some years ago, I spent a full 3 days, in communications with the wine tech support folks, trying to get my needed programs to run correctly.  Since then, I have been a VMware user.  AFAIK, most of the other siduction users who need to run a VM use KVM or VirtualBox.  If you cannot find good evidence (in the online wine database) that all your needed Windows programs are known to run correctly under wine, your time might be better spent learning to set up a VM.

$0.02

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/11/12, 23:37:13 »
If you cannot find good evidence (in the online wine database) that all your needed Windows programs are known to run correctly under wine, your time might be better spent learning to set up a VM.
Thanks dibl! The program that I want to install is classified as "Platinum" from Wine: Watchtower Library. In other past instalation from Ubuntu and SolydK, it installed and funcioned as a breeze. I don't know what's happening with wine from the plain vanilla repo...
                  H. Peavey

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/11/13, 00:30:12 »
damentz from Liquorix answered:
Make sure you purge all versions of wine on your system before you install the wine in the liquorix repositories. The version in debian's repository and the version in the Liquorix are completely incompatible with each other.
Then:
#apt-get purge '^(lib)?wine.*'and finishing with:

# apt-get install wine winetricks libwine-openal:i386 libc6-i686:i386 libgpm2:i386 uuid-runtime:i386 libgsm1:i386 libv4l-0:i386 fonts-liberation libwine-gl:i386 libwine-alsa:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 wine-bin:i386Voila! Now Watchtower Library is running with wine from the Liquorix repo!

H. Peavey

Offline tuxic

• User
Re: (Solved)Trying to install Wine from Liquorix repo
« Reply #10 on: 2014/11/13, 00:43:26 »
tuxic@sid-box:~$ apt-cache policy wine
wine:
  Installed: 1:1.7.28-1
  Candidate: 1:1.7.28-1
  Version table:
 *** 1:1.7.28-1 0
        500 http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.6.2-16 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
                  H. Peavey

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2014/11/13, 12:38:03 »
root@Druck-Buero:/home/towo# apt-cache policy wine-development
wine-development:
  Installiert:           (keine)
  Installationskandidat: 1.7.29-3
  Versionstabelle:
     1.7.29-3 0
        500 http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
     1.7.29-2 0
        400 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
I don't unterstand why frickeling with untested and unsupported 3rd party repos.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2014/11/13, 13:34:16 »
I don't unterstand why frickeling with untested and unsupported 3rd party repos.
Because nobody told me about wine-development package. Just about:
# apt-get install wine winetricks libwine-openal:i386 libc6-i686:i386 libgpm2:i386 uuid-runtime:i386 libgsm1:i386 libv4l-0:i386 fonts-liberation libwine-gl:i386 libwine-alsa:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 wine-bin:i386I'm not a linux-expert as you are. Just a user trying to learn from linux. I posted the tread a couple of days ago. So after I found a viable solution, you come with this answer... C'mon man!!!
The program is running like a breeze and I know that Liquorix kernels and repo have a very good standing in the debian-sid community.
                  H. Peavey

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2014/11/13, 13:38:26 »
And as I see, this part of the forum is called : "Experimental"...
                  H. Peavey

Offline tuxic

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2014/11/13, 22:20:20 »
Update: just trying to go "by the book" uninstalled the Liquorix wine and installed the Debian "wine-development"... same result as wine. WTLIB didn't run. So back to Liquorix Wine and now WTLIB is back again! 
« Last Edit: 2014/11/13, 22:25:58 by tuxic »
                  H. Peavey