Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Restore GRUB  (Read 2478 times)

Offline sotnik

• User
Restore GRUB
« on: 2020/02/15, 00:28:45 »
I had to reinstall windows and it destroyed grub.
Where I can find a howto to restore grub without reinstalling siduction?

Offline mdmarmer

• User
Re: Restore GRUB
« Reply #1 on: 2020/02/15, 02:47:36 »
At the top of this webpage there is a link to the manual.  Navigate to System Administration, then GRUB2, then GRUB2-MBR overwritten.  A direct link is https://manual.siduction.org/sys-admin-grub2#mbr-over-grub2

The instructions are very good.  You will need a siduction ISO (with another ISO you could use chroot as the manual also explains).

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2020/02/15, 23:09:31 »
A simple way is to boot your current siduction install using the Boot Select menu at system startup and select siduction. It's F12 on my PCs but yours may be a different key. If that doesn't work, boot from a USB stick or CD containing REFInd bootloader (for UEFI systems). It will find and boot any kernels present and offer to boot them even if no bootloader exists.
Then do
Code: [Select]
grub-install
update-grub
and reboot.
You didn't say whether you have UEFI or MBR system, which may be important to know.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2020/02/16, 16:44:01 »
I agree with what @sunrat says about UEFI or MBR, I don't own a UEFI board, but if MBR
Use a live siduction cd/stick and do the following, make sure you change sda10 accordingly  (If copy & pasting these commands, please understand what your doing)

Code: [Select]
==========
siduction
==========

mkdir -p /disks/sda10

mount /dev/sda10  /disks/sda10

/usr/sbin/grub-install --recheck --no-floppy --root-directory=/disks/sda10  /dev/sda

=======
debian
=======

mkdir -p /media/sda10

mount /dev/sda10  /media/sda10

/usr/sbin/grub-install --recheck --no-floppy --root-directory=/media/sda10  /dev/sda

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck