Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  boot failure with newest kernels  (Read 7102 times)

incognito666

boot failure with newest kernels
« on: 2012/10/29, 00:00:15 »
it started with the second update released for kernel 3.6-3 and happens as well with 3.6-4. what happens is right after it boots from grub some text appears on the screen for less than a second then the screen goes blank and all I can do is a hard reset.

The system booted fine with the first release of kernel 3.6-3 and the first update for it.

Here is the output of inxi -b

System:    Host: siductionbox Kernel: 3.6-2.towo-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 Distro: siduction 11.1 One Step Beyond - kde - (201112302141)
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: F1A75-V PRO version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 2203 date: 06/05/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6550D]
           X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6550D GLX Version: 4.2.11762 - CPC
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 560.1GB (27.6% used)
Info:      Processes: 253 Uptime: 13 min Memory: 1727.9/7480.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.19

I can provide more info or run tests if needed

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #1 on: 2012/10/29, 08:53:35 »
I guess, a photo of the (readable) output at boot could help hinting in the right direction.

greetz
devil

incognito666

« Reply #2 on: 2012/10/29, 15:33:06 »
I was able to take photos of the (readable) output but none of the were readable so I wrote down the output.

I was able to have the output stay on the screen by pressing the pause/break key at just the right time and this is what I got.

Code: [Select]
Loading Linux 3.6-4.towo-siduction-amd64 ...
vga=795 is deprecated. Use set gfxpayload=1280x1024x24,1280x1024 before linux command instead.
Loading initial ramdisk ...

I then removed the boot code vga=795 and it instead flashed similar output onto the screen and then froze with different output but this time it stayed on the screen.

on the top of the screen was
Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
Booting the kernel.

-

on the bottom of the screen
PANIC: early exception 08 rip 246:10 error 8132e61d cr20

hope this helps

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/10/29, 18:09:07 »
Then test linux-3.6/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:

max_addr=nn[KMG]     All physical memory greater than or equal to this physical address is ignored.

max_addr=3G
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

incognito666

« Reply #5 on: 2012/10/30, 06:23:34 »
I ran some tests with kernel 3.6-4 and here are the results.

memtest passed with zero errors.

max_addr=3G had no effect.

I has results with mem=n[G]
mem=6G, mem=7G, and mem=8G had no effect
mem=5G gave me a different error
PANIC: early exception 0f rip 10:ffffffff8132e61d error 0 cr2 0
mem=4G the system booted

dropping my cpu freq from 3300mhz to 3000mhz with no kernel parameters also gave me the same error as mem=5G.

changing my memory freq had no effect.

I then switched my two memory sticks around and the results were mostly the same except that I got the second error without any kernel parameters and the error in the previous post with mem=5G.

none of this really solves my problem nor confirms that I have a hardware issue.  considering that my system works perfectly fine with kernel 3.6-2. I can only assume that changes made in kernel 3.6-3 (version 3.6-7) and later interacting with my hardware are producing these problems.

My computer also booted fine with (versions 3.6-5 and 3.6-6) of kernel 3.6-3 but I don't have those to test with.

when I have more time I will run some more tests on my hardware to verify its integrity.

any more suggestions are appreciated

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #6 on: 2012/10/31, 00:05:21 »
towo's  link looks like to "me"  :) says power supply

Have you a spare to try ?
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

incognito666

« Reply #7 on: 2012/10/31, 04:13:18 »
unfortunately I don't have a spare power supply to try.  If I did I would have tried it and I should have mentioned that in my previous posts.  I also don't have any spare components of any kind that are compatible with this particular computer.

I did notice that a new power supply solved the poster in the link from towo solved his problem.  but if you read the entire thread you will notice that his problem started when he installed new ram. also when he tried different amounts and arrangements of ram the problem went away when he was under 3GB in physical ram. meaning the increased power draw of the extra ram might have been enough to tax his PS

also the mem= parameter had no effect for him but it did allow me to boot.

his error war triggered by a hardware change while mine only appears with a couple kernels.

at max my computer might reach 20% of my PS output.
the computer is also less than a year old and there are no cheap/low quality parts in it.

I don't discount the possibility that my PS is the problem or that some other piece of hardware is. its just that I would like to eliminate all other possibility's before I have to spend money buying something that might not solve my problem.

I appreciate all the help.

I will run some more tests on the hardware when i have time.

incognito666

« Reply #8 on: 2012/11/02, 02:25:46 »
with kernel 3.6-5 my computer is booting normally again so I think the issue is solved. It still doesn't boot with kernels 3.6-3 and 3.6-4 so I guess my computer didn't like something about those ones and I'm kinda curios why.

I have not made any changes to my computer either.

I will probably still run some tests on my hardware to ensure there is nothing wrong.

thank you for your time.