Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Questions about packages in experimental repo etc.  (Read 2468 times)

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
[EN] Questions about packages in experimental repo etc.
« on: 2012/03/28, 06:31:23 »
Hi all

I just realized that I didn't have some of the fun repos enabled in my sources.list.  I added exerimental, experimental-snapshots and user repos and see that these packages can be updated.

ceni digikam digikam-data gimp gimp-data gimp-plugin-registry kipi-plugins kipi-plugins-common libbabl-0.0-0 libgegl-0.0-0  libgimp2.0

While reading translations of the German section I saw that folks were using these packages, but, sometimes the translations were lacking.  Are there any problems using the experimental versions of these packages that I might have missed in translation?

Also, can the new qt desktop be install alongside the KDE desktop, and, switched between, or, are all the packages not ready yet?

Sorry if I missed reading about it, but, I also thought that there might be some who still don't realize that these newer versions are available.

Am I ok experimenting, or, are there problems that I need to watch out for?
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Questions about packages in experimental repo etc.
« Reply #1 on: 2012/03/28, 13:12:36 »

Are there any problems using the experimental versions of these packages that I might have missed in translation?

There are no known problems (at least I dio not know any). But there might be, because the software in there has not been facing a larger testbed, that e.g. unststable offers. So it should be treated as it's named.

Also, can the new qt desktop be install alongside the KDE desktop, and, switched between, or, are all the packages not ready yet?

You can use razor-qt alongside kde or any other DE. You choose what to start with (K)DM. Razor-qt is not feature-complete but is usable.

greetz
devil

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: Questions about packages in experimental repo etc.
« Reply #2 on: 2012/03/28, 21:20:42 »
Thanks devil, I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Linux Counter number 348347