Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Huge Sources.list  (Read 1696 times)

Offline eriefisher

• User
[EN] Huge Sources.list
« on: 2020/05/09, 17:32:35 »
I have been having an issue the last few days and finally figured it out. Every time I opened Synaptic and selected Settings>>Repositories my laptop would just freeze up. It would sometimes stop and start slowly. I could see in the panel, the cpu usage was not getting pinned(when it would actually be moving). I was able, a couple times, to get to VT2 and log in, run top and see that synaptic was using 85-90% of my memory(4Gig). After some poking around I found /etc/apt/sources.list was huge, 156mb with thousands of lines with just ###### over and over again. I took it out of the equation and everything returned to normal. I assume Synaptic was just trying to read the file.

Has anyone seen this? Any idea where it would have come from?

Offline sedonix

• User
Re: Huge Sources.list
« Reply #1 on: 2020/05/09, 20:21:09 »
Have seen it for many years. I trim mine whenever I think about it. Have no idea what causes it. Possible whenever you edit the sources list.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2020/05/09, 20:27:29 »
Thanks, I guess I will have to keep an eye on it. Never came across it before.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2020/05/09, 21:19:53 »
Code: [Select]
apt purge synaptic

Really shouldn't be using that in a sid environment.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2020/05/09, 21:23:47 »
I'm fine with that. Is just a convenience really. But that doesn't solve the issue. I would not have found it had I didn't use synaptic. I'm not sure what would cause this type of issue.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #5 on: 2020/05/09, 21:29:08 »
A package that can mess up your system I wouldn't call a convenience

It's been like that for decades, one of the many reasons it shouldn't be used in sid, stable is a different ballgame :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2020/05/09, 21:30:51 »
Got it.