Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Plank - Keep in Dock not available  (Read 2774 times)

beje

[EN] Plank - Keep in Dock not available
« on: 2020/06/24, 15:48:16 »
Hi there, I have a problem with Plank and I do not know what is wrong, where to look, what to try...
The problem is as following: when I start an application, for example Thunderbird, but is also happening to others, like for example Iron, I do not have the option to "Keep in Dock". Another symptom is that the icon is kind of blurry (see the screenshot...)
If I add the entry manually I get the "Preferences:456] Unable to load preferences from file"
Can somebody point me on what I am missing? Thanks.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: Plank - Keep in Dock not available
« Reply #1 on: 2020/06/24, 17:38:19 »
I am far from a plank expert -- if Melmarker sees this, he can probably give a better answer.

So I have one system with the LXQt desktop and plank.  Mostly I just use it, but at times I have accidentally pulled an icon off the dock, and had to restore it. Your "fuzzy icon" issue might have to do with the size of the icons that you installed. Depending on your DE, you should have some choices about which size icons you select for your dock.  I'll attach a screenshot of my plank settings, which is pretty simple.

Under ~/.config/plank/dock1/launchers you find the *.dockitem files, one for each icon on the dock.  Here is the qterminal.dockitem file on my system:

Code: [Select]
[PlankDockItemPreferences]
file:///usr/share/applications/qterminal.desktop
« Last Edit: 2020/06/24, 17:52:53 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

beje

« Reply #2 on: 2020/06/25, 11:54:31 »
I have cloned the firefox entry for plank and edited it for thunderbird.When I was clicking on it it was doubling the Thunderbird icon in Plank, with the first one staying nice and clear and the second one blurry as before.
The first one is labelled as Thunderbird, the second one as Inbox...
p.s. do you have so many problems with all newcomers?  ;D I must admit I can live, as I have lived until now, without Plank, but I got curious... and most probably this is a bug, that will be solved...

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2020/06/25, 16:45:39 »
Quote from: beje
do you have so many problems with all newcomers?

Ha ha -- well, it depends on "new to sid" or "new to linux".  Sid is a very hard way to learn about Linux.  Better to start with Ubuntu or Mint or something like that.  But, once you get the hang of the Debian packaging and repo usage in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, you can really become the master of your Linux system and with siduction you can have the latest software package versions, so there's a payoff to the pain of learning.   8)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

beje

« Reply #4 on: 2020/06/30, 22:02:09 »
Hell/Well, I have started with Debian and on one site I am glad that I have done it... going through debian administrator's handbook has laid a foundation that can be used everywhere in the debian universe/multiverse...I have gone afterwards for the desktops a bit downstream and enjoy the laziness of the shallower, warmer waters down there below. Its nice when someone takes easy decisions for you and makes the things easier. Its nasty when the decisions goes apart... So here I am back, not only to the mountain waters upstream but drinking from very close to the springs...
So with the principles of debian I am accustomed... to some of the tools not... and there are so many of them in the *nix galaxy...
I should note also that I am lazy... and probably with siduction I should be a little bit more careful before apt dist-upgrade... at least a bit more careful that I was downstream...  ::)

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2020/06/30, 23:12:10 »
Quote from: beje
...with siduction I should be a little bit more careful before apt dist-upgrade...

Correct. Look at what apt is telling you on full-upgrade, especially the removals, and if in doubt, check the "Updates" forum here. That is your best tool for working with siduction. Here I am working on an old Dell POS with a LXQt desktop, installed in early 2017:

System:    Kernel: 5.7.6-towo.1-siduction-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXQt 0.14.1
           Distro: siduction 17.1.0 Patience - lxqt - (201703051830)
Machine:   Type: Portable System: Dell product: Inspiron N5110 v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: Dell model: 034W60 v: A11 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A11 date: 08/03/2012

But it works very well for casual purposes.

beje

« Reply #6 on: 2020/07/05, 19:43:09 »
my google foo returned:
https://elementaryos.stackexchange.com/questions/18/one-of-my-apps-has-a-second-fuzzy-icon-in-plank-how-can-i-workaround-this
checked WM_CLASS for thunderbird like this:
xprop WM_CLASSresult:
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Mail", "thunderbird"copied the desktop app for thunderbird locally
cp /usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop  ~/.local/share/applicationsadded following line to the end:
StartupWMClass=thunderbirdlogged out, logged in, started plank, thunderbird and now the icon was not fuzzy any more and the keep in dock option was available.