Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Using apt-get upgrade  (Read 2923 times)

troypulk

[EN] Using apt-get upgrade
« on: 2013/09/28, 18:13:41 »
When using apt-get upgrade sometimes there are packages that are held back, for example:

The following packages have been kept back:
  dvb-apps gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
  libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 linux-headers-siduction-amd64
  linux-image-siduction-amd64 php5-cgi php5-common wget xserver-xorg-core
  xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse
  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse

If I use synaptic these packages will not be held back and will upgrade if I continue.

Is it best if I wait until apt-get upgrade upgrades these files or is these no problem to update them using synaptic?

Thanks

Troy

timc

RE: Using apt-get upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2013/09/28, 18:25:10 »
In Siduction, you should always do dist-upgrade, as stated in the docs. I do not know whether this will resolve your current issue, but you need to try that, first.

Tim

Offline michaa7

• User
Re: Using apt-get upgrade
« Reply #2 on: 2013/09/28, 19:58:58 »
Quote from: "troypulk"
When using apt-get upgrade sometimes ...

in a nutshell:

- Don't ever use again "apt-get upgrade". Never ever.
- get used to apt and its brothers an sisters (i.e. apt-get for installs and dist-upgrades, apt-cache for search and infos)
- always dist-upgrade in RL3 (read dibl's posting)
- If you like it, use synaptic for research, *don't* use it for installs or dist-upgrades.

And as a first step use:
Code: [Select]
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
If the server is holding back packages then this is happening for a good reason. Even if this occurs during weeks or month (which might happen) you should not force a package upgrade.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline oduffo

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/09/28, 20:33:43 »
hi michaa7,

you should edit your post from
Don't ever use again "apt-get update". Never ever.to
... apt-get upgrade ... Typo!!

Gruß
oduffo

troypulk

RE: Re: Using apt-get upgrade
« Reply #4 on: 2013/09/28, 20:45:52 »
Thanks,

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: Using apt-get upgrade
« Reply #5 on: 2013/09/28, 22:49:32 »
Before you dist-upgrade your system, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to log in to the tty console as root.  Then do these steps:

init 3  (shuts down X)

apt-get update  (observe that it fetches package lists -- sometimes if a repo is in the process of being refreshed, it will "fail to fetch". Just wait 5 minutes and try it again.)

apt-get dist-upgrade  (observe it wget the upgraded packages, unpack and install them, and reconfigure the initrd image and or update grub for new kernels)

apt-get clean (deletes the download files in the apt archive)

init 5  (brings X back up and your login manager)

When you are in X, you can open your root terminal (Alt-F2 "kdesu konsole" for KDE), and in that terminal you can apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade -d to download the upgrade but not install it.  Then later you can get out of X and run it on the console and install it.

New siduction users who are accustomed to doing updates in X in other distros sometimes find it dismaying that they need to exit to the console, but it is the nature of sid that new packages related to the xserver and installed video driver might break your system if X is running at the time they are being installed and configured.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2013/09/29, 04:02:10 »
Quote from: "oduffo"
hi michaa7,

you should edit your post ...

Thanks, done.

And even info in a nutshell should not leave out:

- always dist-upgrade in RL3

;-)
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake