Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] FIreStarter - OpenBox  (Read 8960 times)

sqlpython

[EN] FIreStarter - OpenBox
« on: 2013/07/11, 07:36:34 »
Took some pieces from various other sessions
Tint2  for a panel
lxappearance to run obappearence plugin
lxtaskmanager
Xfce4-powermanager
volti Volume indicator in panel
NetworkManager Applet in panel
Parcellite Clipboard in Panel
Wbar in lower left
  and as you can see access to all Gtk type apps that I have running on my Xfce4 desktop.

Can run loaded with desktop apps and streaming Media on a 512mb machine.
  [Click on Link for SCROT ]
http://db.tt/ckcUpN2u

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #1 on: 2013/07/11, 17:13:48 »
Realized after viewing the above Desktop that I did not enable
Multi Desktops on the tint2  bar.
As you can see by the new Screen Shot that the tint2 bar now displays all apps running on each Desktop. No matter what your current desktop.
This shot displays Desktop 4 while tint2 does display the apps on Desktops 1 thru 3 also.
You can alternatively go to that desktop by Clicking on the tint2

http://db.tt/iq7PJvYR

Offline DeepDayze

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #2 on: 2013/07/11, 17:48:26 »
Looks nice but why not put the WBar in the center on bottom or on the center left? That desktop setup looks close to GNOME as you can come. I've been playing with Openbox using the Semplice Linux distro and it is pretty darn fast on my AMD64 setup as well as my old Thinkpad T42

Also what do you use for a file manager? PCManFM or SpaceFM?

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #3 on: 2013/07/13, 05:35:38 »
Looks nice but why not put the WBar in the center on bottom or on the center left? That desktop setup looks close to GNOME as you can come.

Sure, Why not....
I just happened to like that particular balance to the text in the Wallpaper.
Regarding Gnome.. Not a fan.

Lastly, I usually install PCmanFM in my OpenBox installs but used Thunar this time.

I have tried and been following Semplice since it's introduction and do like it.
However it is light on installed packages & pleasing Artwork. Plus no towo kernel.
I'd rather turn a better Distro (Siduction) into an OpenBox DE .

Offline DeepDayze

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #4 on: 2013/07/13, 16:22:32 »
Quote from: "sqlpython"
Looks nice but why not put the WBar in the center on bottom or on the center left? That desktop setup looks close to GNOME as you can come.

Sure, Why not....
I just happened to like that particular balance to the text in the Wallpaper.
Regarding Gnome.. Not a fan.

Lastly, I usually install PCmanFM in my OpenBox installs but used Thunar this time.

I have tried and been following Semplice since it's introduction and do like it.
However it is light on installed packages & pleasing Artwork. Plus no towo kernel.
I'd rather turn a better Distro (Siduction) into an OpenBox DE .

I have a "test" Semplice install and installed Towo's kernel as well as the packages I desired. I'll test a Firestarter Openbox setup as well. :)

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #5 on: 2013/07/13, 20:02:18 »
^ Good idea..
Post back results..

Offline DeepDayze

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #6 on: 2013/07/13, 23:29:50 »
^ Good idea..
Post back results..

Did you use the Firestarter No-X ISO?

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #7 on: 2013/07/14, 09:07:55 »
^ No, but I am in the process of doing that now.
I simply converted an Xfce install that I already had installed.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #8 on: 2013/07/14, 17:00:09 »
While I do like KDE, it has gotten quite "heavy" and eating up a lot of RAM on my big rig so I'm looking at these lite WM's as possible replacements for KDE, as a lot of the non-KDE apps such as xfburn/brasero, miro etc have improved a lot over the years to become viable replacements for the KDE apps. For the WM's I'm looking at Openbox and Fluxbox for both my desktop rig and my aging but trusty IBM Thinkpad T42.

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #9 on: 2013/07/14, 19:01:12 »
While I do like KDE, it has gotten quite "heavy" and eating up a lot of RAM

Heh.. Reading you is like listening to myself.
 In 1999 I downloaded to 5 3.5 floppies KDE 0.99 and the never looked back. (Before KDE I liked FVWM) I used KDE exclusively until late 2008. Then I began to add Xfce as my secondary Desktop on my installs. Since 2010 Xfce and OpenBox only.

I am always amazed to see KDE installs running at 550mb to 750mb at a Desktop IDLE without an app running. While my #! CrunchBang OpenBox install IDLEs at 90mb. and to me looks good and interfaces slickly.

Further if you want the 3D and special effects with Xfce simply add Compiz. You can have Rotating Cubes. Wobbly Windows and the lot. While your Desk IDLEs at 350mb.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #10 on: 2013/07/14, 22:12:57 »
While I do like KDE, it has gotten quite "heavy" and eating up a lot of RAM

Heh.. Reading you is like listening to myself.
 In 1999 I downloaded to 5 3.5 floppies KDE 0.99 and the never looked back. (Before KDE I liked FVWM) I used KDE exclusively until late 2008. Then I began to add Xfce as my secondary Desktop on my installs. Since 2010 Xfce and OpenBox only.

I am always amazed to see KDE installs running at 550mb to 750mb at a Desktop IDLE without an app running. While my #! CrunchBang OpenBox install IDLEs at 90mb. and to me looks good and interfaces slickly.

Further if you want the 3D and special effects with Xfce simply add Compiz. You can have Rotating Cubes. Wobbly Windows and the lot. While your Desk IDLEs at 350mb.

Your experiences almost mirror mine as I have used FVWM for years prior to compiling and installing KDE 1.x on Slackware. I liked what I saw so been a solid KDE user for years and was quite happy until KDE 4.x came on the scene which such a buggy bloated disaster with akonadi garbage, KDE 4 has made my old Thinkpad slow to a crawl so been trying out the lite options and Openbox/Fluxbox fills the bill.

RazorQT shows promise and I could try this as a KDE replacement too.

Openbox is so configurable and looks pleasing so I'll most likely dump KDE and use OB with Gnome apps.

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #11 on: 2013/07/15, 18:56:30 »
I have used as a LiveCD the Siduction Razor and found it Very Good.
I like the Qt aspect of Razor. Razor though has a slow moving development. Using Razor asks by its' origins that the user should probably invest in QT apps. If you are going to do that then we find ourselves back with KDE. So, given that Razor less complete and mates with QT I would op for a light KDE.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #12 on: 2013/07/16, 00:19:53 »
I have used as a LiveCD the Siduction Razor and found it Very Good.
I like the Qt aspect of Razor. Razor though has a slow moving development. Using Razor asks by its' origins that the user should probably invest in QT apps. If you are going to do that then we find ourselves back with KDE. So, given that Razor less complete and mates with QT I would op for a light KDE.

RazorQT would be a good base for using KDE apps without the bloated KDE DE as most QT apps just require the QT runtimes

farinet

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #13 on: 2013/07/20, 07:42:11 »
I'm underway to do the same but using fluxbox instead (following a bit the crunchbang philosophy ;) ) relaying on the buil-in panel instead of tint2. For the moment i can say, it makes an 8 years old HP laptop a reasonably fast machine (faster than what i experienced before installing on to it first lubuntu and then crunchbang). I found the razorqt firestarter iso is an excellent starting point.

But i'm by far less experienced and linux familiar as you. So i still miss some basic things as:

a configuration of xscreensaver

a reasonable battery/powermanagement setup
(ptbatterysystemtray for the moment does not do neither hibernate nor suspend; i vaguely remember hibernate might be unabled by default by debian but suspend at least should work)

and i miss a filemanager like Thunar or PCManFM (the later one exists, but for some reason i do not succeed in building the alpha from ressources).

In any case, i'd find it an excellent idea to come up with an openbox or fluxbox only based siduction iso. The right click menu, if configured well, makes unnessecary, imho, any starter bar ;)

sqlpython

FIreStarter - OpenBox
« Reply #14 on: 2013/07/21, 00:03:50 »
@farinet
 You could do far worse then emulating a #! platform.
I am Huge Crunchbang fan and have it installed On a machine.
  Once Fluxbox is configured I find it light and quick. In fact for those with imagination Fluxbox can be really Artistic in presentation.
I hope you post some of your examples once your are satisfied with the work.