Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] changed preferences in latest iceweasel  (Read 2183 times)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
[EN] changed preferences in latest iceweasel
« on: 2015/01/19, 13:29:13 »
Hello,

i just noticed that iceweasel changes the presentation of its "Preferences" in latest version 36 and it now comes as a modern website in the content area of the browser.

The structure just changes from horizontal tabs to vertical menu items - but i admit, i felt completely lost.

Though i will stay with the new about:preferences presentation, i still appreciate that users have choice to disable it.

So if you prefer the old settings dialog as floating window method:
- open  about:config,
- filter for preferences,
- toggle browser.preferences.inContent to "false".

greetings
musca
β€žEs irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.β€œ  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: changed preferences in latest iceweasel
« Reply #1 on: 2015/01/19, 14:25:30 »
Thanks for telling us how to revert to the look one is used to. Just fyi, the new iceweasel/firefox versions just changed the default of the said key to true. The key browser.preferences.inContent itselfs exists in earlier Versions (since ~31?), and manually setting it to true worked already (for those who like that). One benefit is that the settings dialog now is a tab beside all other open tabs, so you can leave it open while testing the impact of changed settings. The 'old' setting blocked the browser when opened.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: changed preferences in latest iceweasel
« Reply #2 on: 2015/01/19, 20:30:08 »
Thanks musca, even though I am used to the "new" way, it's still a great tip.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 ID:20150119030222 CSet: 6446c26b45f9
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck