seduction
 Language:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2019/11/14, 02:33:20

Help

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Siduction on external server  (Read 168 times)

Offline leandersukov

• User
    • http://leander-sukov.de
Siduction on external server
« on: 2019/07/28, 19:35:29 »
I have sofar used debian stable on the servers I have with Hetzner AG in Germany. Hetzner does not official offering Debian Testing (e.g. Siduction), unofficial I do not know.

I am using in my office siduction for quite a long time with any serious problems. Therefor I would like to have it on one of the servers as well. This means that I have to change everything from far.

Would it work like this:
changing the mirrorsGet the siduction kernel-dingiesGetting the kernels to workkilling and deleting lampreinstalling lampreinstalling all other stuff with the usual tools (apt-get, dpkg etc).

Or do I miss anything?

I know it is a bid risky. I tried that here some time ago and it worked well. But then ... here I am just in front of the computer, no one can stop me from accessing. There I would run into problemes, when I lose ssh-connection.

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Siduction on external server
« Reply #1 on: 2019/07/28, 19:49:35 »
1) siduction is not testing, it is sid (unstable)

I know what your trying to do, in the past, I myself  have turned a debian stable install into a frankention install without problems.

However, that was a long time ago, I have no idea if it can be done today, maybe someone else can chime in because a server is not something you want to mess up :)
I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

Offline melmarker

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Siduction on external server
« Reply #2 on: 2019/07/28, 20:32:07 »
If there are really reasons for using sid(uction) on a server - why not, a few cons:
* our kernel is optimized for desktop usage
* how often you are restarting? (Hint: weekly would be ok)
* most server applications don't benefit from sid
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)