Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] suggestion of inclusion of uemacs  (Read 8831 times)

demailly

[EN] suggestion of inclusion of uemacs
« on: 2019/07/28, 14:18:18 »

Siduction ISO's presently do not contain emacs nor any emacs clone. I know that they have nano and vim, but in case installation has issues and internet connectivity is not yet obtained, it can be useful to be able to edit files easily. People who are wired with emacs key bindings might  feel more comfortable with an emacs clone. Linus Torvalds maintains a very lightweight microemacs version that is UTF8 aware and has enough functionality for basic editing. It is a bit strange than no debian package seems to be readily available. Here is one that I made.

To obtain a valid debian source package, use the above 2 attachements xaa.zip, xab.zip and type
unzip xaa.zip
unzip xab.zip
cat xaa xab > uemacs-4.0.15-lt.tar.bz2

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: suggestion of inclusion of uemacs
« Reply #1 on: 2019/07/28, 20:35:45 »
No, we will not integrate another operating system into siduction - really. No.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

demailly

« Reply #2 on: 2019/07/28, 23:35:23 »
I don't want to argue for an admittedly very minor and inessential suggestion, but uemacs is used by Linus precisely because it is _not_ an operating system, in sharp contrast with GNU emacs ...

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2019/07/29, 00:28:19 »
One should ask

Is Linus using siduction?

I don't want to have a emacs debate, things will get nasty :P :P :P

Next, they want to call it

GNU/siduction
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

demailly

« Reply #4 on: 2019/07/29, 16:03:46 »
Linus claimed on several occasions that he was using Fedora on his computers and laptops, under GNOME lastly. I just checked that Fedora does _not_ provide Linus' uemacs editor, so maybe that would be a small encouragement to him to switch to siduction (and/or to somehow dedicate the next release to him) ! Concerning uemacs itself, he explained that one of its minor merits is to offer by default the kernel coding style indentation, and later joked :
"I really should just learn another editor, rather than continue to polish this turd."
Apparently he didn't, since the last git update is from 2018 ! Cf.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/editors/uemacs/uemacs.git/commit/?id=fa00fe882f719351fdf7a4c4100baf4f3eab4d61
However, I certainly don't want to initiate a new war with or against the GNU people!

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2019/07/29, 16:41:19 »
demailly, already thought about  " ng-latin - MicroGnuEmacs, a small lightweight Emacs-like editor " ? It's in the debian repos ...
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

demailly

« Reply #6 on: 2019/07/29, 17:10:05 »
> ng-latin - MicroGnuEmacs
This is another microemacs/mg derivative, that was apparently developed around year 2000, especially to handle Asian languages with their specific encodings predating UTF8. I just made a test a couple of minutes ago, ng-latin does not handle properly UTF8 and looks very outdated. Actually, I don't really understand why Debian keeps this antiquity rather than adopting Linus' uemacs ... Maybe a copyright issue ?

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2019/07/29, 17:40:49 »
emacs is not installable anyways

IRC
#debian-devel

Code: [Select]
[7/29/19 7:43 am] <LocutusOfBorg> emacs25 is *not* installable in sid
[7/29/19 7:43 am] <LocutusOfBorg> so all of them are not installable anymore
[7/29/19 7:48 am] <LocutusOfBorg> and the final situation will be really better once emacs bumps version :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

demailly

« Reply #8 on: 2019/07/29, 18:19:53 »
Don't know is there is a misunderstanding here, but uemacs is completely independent from emacs, it's just a very efficient and very small editor that offers the same basic key bindings. The whole installation takes hardly more than 200kB, and beyond libc, the only libraries reported by ldd are libncurses and libtinfo. It is even much smaller than nano. GNU emacs started in 1984, and I remember using some early microemacs version essentially at the same time - they were probably developed in parallel.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2019/07/29, 18:26:28 »
Actually it started in 1985 and we were forced to use it at my work at that time

But, we won't have anything to do with it here ;)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #10 on: 2019/07/30, 19:42:56 »
piper - you are right - emacs and vi drove me away from unix in 1991 fast and successful for the next 17 years :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2019/07/30, 21:37:45 »
I use to use vi, once your used to it is just okay, I love nano for kiss  :P