seduction
 Language:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2020/05/31, 01:02:18

Help

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Huge Sources.list  (Read 211 times)

Offline eriefisher

• User
Huge Sources.list
« on: 2020/05/09, 17:32:35 »
I have been having an issue the last few days and finally figured it out. Every time I opened Synaptic and selected Settings>>Repositories my laptop would just freeze up. It would sometimes stop and start slowly. I could see in the panel, the cpu usage was not getting pinned(when it would actually be moving). I was able, a couple times, to get to VT2 and log in, run top and see that synaptic was using 85-90% of my memory(4Gig). After some poking around I found /etc/apt/sources.list was huge, 156mb with thousands of lines with just ###### over and over again. I took it out of the equation and everything returned to normal. I assume Synaptic was just trying to read the file.

Has anyone seen this? Any idea where it would have come from?

Offline sedonix

• User
Re: Huge Sources.list
« Reply #1 on: 2020/05/09, 20:21:09 »
Have seen it for many years. I trim mine whenever I think about it. Have no idea what causes it. Possible whenever you edit the sources list.

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2020/05/09, 20:27:29 »
Thanks, I guess I will have to keep an eye on it. Never came across it before.

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2020/05/09, 21:19:53 »
Code: [Select]
apt purge synaptic

Really shouldn't be using that in a sid environment.
I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2020/05/09, 21:23:47 »
I'm fine with that. Is just a convenience really. But that doesn't solve the issue. I would not have found it had I didn't use synaptic. I'm not sure what would cause this type of issue.

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #5 on: 2020/05/09, 21:29:08 »
A package that can mess up your system I wouldn't call a convenience

It's been like that for decades, one of the many reasons it shouldn't be used in sid, stable is a different ballgame :)
I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

Offline eriefisher

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2020/05/09, 21:30:51 »
Got it.