Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Installation Tests of siduction flavours lxde, lxqt, kde and xfce  (Read 11981 times)

holgerw

Hello Alf,

we've one group with users, who allways have a working siduction and just have to wait with further D-U, until gcc5 transition thunderstorm has gone. And we have a group of users, who want to setup a new siduction installation. And for those people we have some possibilities to get a working system, some are a little bit more tricky. But you've understand me in a wrong way, I don't want to animate users, who want to setup a new siduction flavour, to use currently kde.

My way to get a new siduction installation is the following, and IMHO it is a secure way, and I've tried it with several iso the last days with success.
1. Fetching an inofficial siduction whiteroom build, cinnamon, xfce or just a nox without xorg
2. Start this iso with toram option
3. Connect to internet and try a D-U
4. When D-U ends with success start siduction installer and put up-to-date siduction flavour to hard disk
5. Try to add some application you need.

What is wrong with this method?

Another way is using old indiansummer stuff, tinkering with snapshots, working with manual dpkg steps to get an up-to-date flavour. Both methods have pros and cons, I think.

And I'm gladly willing to help people with my favoured procedure, if there are questions.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
ok - thats a point - if i would be a new user i would try a simple flavour like lxde, lxqt or cinnamon - don't know the gnome situation, but i would not suggest kde at all right now :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

holgerw

ok - thats a point - if i would be a new user i would try a simple flavour like lxde, lxqt or cinnamon - don't know the gnome situation, but i would not suggest kde at all right now :D

Yes, also with kdenext repo meta package kde-standard or core application dolphin isn't installable yet. But using alternative flavour with digikam, konsole, okular is possible at this time, I just want to say that some KDE stuff is usable but not complete KDE flavour.

holgerw

soundkonverter and some further k stuff
« Reply #33 on: 2015/08/23, 00:04:24 »
Hello,

since a few minutes soundkonverter is also installable on my xfce siduction system, my current installed k stuff:
Code: [Select]
digikam and kipi-plugins
konsole
okular
kwrite
soundkonverter
kate
systemsettings
kde-window-manager
plasma-framework
khelpcenter
kdeartwork
kdeadmin
kdegames
kdeedu
kdeutils
kdetoys

Thats a lot of stuff, I hope, dolphin will be installable soon.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye

Another way is using old indiansummer stuff, tinkering with snapshots, working with manual dpkg steps to get an up-to-date flavour. Both methods have pros and cons, I think.

It happened to me -- I lost my boot drive earlier this week, on my main desktop system. No data were lost, but siduction was non-bootable.    :'(

With another hdd installed to mount /boot, I installed Indian Summer on my SSD, and commented out all the debian and siduction repos, and enabled only the 20150731T213852Z debian snapshot repo.  I ran d-u, which did cause some problems with the systemsettings and locales packages, and there were some manual fussing with dpkg to get a happy system, but with a broken nouveau video driver.  When it was all working except for the GUI, I enabled the siduction repos and installed the nvidia-driver.  Then I enabled kdenext and ran d-u.  After that I had a good-working siduction system, KDE plasma 5, and the only missing productivity package is libreoffice.  I will boot a Debian Jessie system when I have to use libreoffice, otherwise my siduction system including qemu-kvm and my Win 10 VM is all working perfectly.

Code: [Select]
don@Hibiscus:~$ inxi -v3 
System:    Host: Hibiscus Kernel: 4.1.6-towo.1-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.2.1)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5 (Qt 5.4.2) Distro: siduction 14.1.0 Indian Summer - kde - (201411230337)
Machine:   System: ASUS product: All Series
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-WS v: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: 2004 date: 06/05/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4770 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28023
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 3394 MHz 2: 3388 MHz 3: 3400 MHz 4: 3399 MHz 5: 3399 MHz 6: 3401 MHz
           7: 3452 MHz 8: 3402 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] bus-ID: 05:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1200@59.88hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.82 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:   Card-1: Intel I210 Gigabit Network Connection driver: igb v: 5.2.15-k port: d000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
           Card-2: Intel I210 Gigabit Network Connection driver: igb v: 5.2.15-k port: a000 bus-ID: 0a:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: e0:3f:49:e6:85:c4
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3120.7GB (25.3% used) ID-1: model: OCZ
           ID-2: model: OCZ ID-3: model: WDC_WD1001FALS
           ID-4: model: WDC_WD1000DHTZ ID-5: model: WDC_WD1000DHTZ
Info:      Processes: 280 Uptime: 11:00 Memory: 1669.3/7927.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.2.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.391) inxi: 2.2.26
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
one could use the libre office packages from The Document Foundation - ok, they are fugly, but work - or try libre offce 5 from experimental i guess - sorry, i don't know the current state
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline drb

• User
Not d-uing yet here but Libreoffice 5 seems to be able to install . . . . it's the 48 other packages that are stopping me trying.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
- or try libre offce 5 from experimental i guess - sorry, i don't know the current state

Heh -- I had this idea also.  The current state is "missing".   ;D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
upps, was migrated to unstable - as times go by :)