Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Problems with running programs as root in GUI  (Read 6067 times)

axehammer

Problems with running programs as root in GUI
« on: 2012/11/18, 17:23:19 »
Greetings, I am not sure if this should be here or in bug fixes, but since I first noticed it after a dist-upgrade last night, I thought it may belong here.

I was unable to run partition manager as root.  when I tried to run it this came up in a window.

Warning: You do not have administrative privileges.
It is possible to run KDE Partition Manager without these privileges. You will, however, not be allowed to apply operations.
Do you want to continue running KDE Partition Manager?

and it gave the option of running as a regular user or quitting.  I tried running other GUI programs that required root access including gparted, synaptic, and krusader.  None of which would run from the pull down menu or by terminal command.  they would all ask for the root password, and then fail.

I have also tried adding my user name to the sudo group but using sudo does not seem to work any better.

Offline Bequimão

• User
Problems with running programs as root in GUI
« Reply #1 on: 2012/11/18, 18:02:57 »
Start these programs in a terminal as user

Code: [Select]
$ su-to-root -X -c gparted

Best regards,
Bequimão
Bequimão (gesprochen: Be-ki-mãu) ist Manuel Beckmann,
brasilianischer Revolutionär in Maranhão (1630 - 1685).

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: Problems with running programs as root in GUI
« Reply #2 on: 2012/11/18, 18:39:54 »
You can also open KDE Menu Editor (we will use partitionmanager (KDE Partition Manager) for example)

Under General -> Command

The default setting is partitionmanager

Change that to kdesu partitionmanager

Then, top left corner and hit save,your system will update and your good to go

You can do that with any app
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline piper

• User
Re: Problems with running programs as root in GUI
« Reply #3 on: 2012/11/18, 19:28:51 »
Quote from: "axehammer"

I have also tried adding my user name to the sudo group but using sudo does not seem to work any better.

Debian unlike Ubuntu does not come with sudo enabled by default.

As of debian squeeze, if you ask for the "Desktop task" during the installation , that pulls in sudo with a default configuration that automatically grants sudo-ing rights to any member of the sudo group

man sudo
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: Problems with running programs as root in GUI
« Reply #4 on: 2012/11/18, 22:56:34 »
For one-time use, or for something like kate which is needed for both user and root, press Alt-F2, enter "kdesu kate", enter the root password when prompted, and root is now running the package until you exit.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline der_bud

• User
RE: Re: Problems with running programs as root in GUI
« Reply #5 on: 2012/11/19, 08:46:33 »
Is this a new install? I remember there could have been something with policykit on some Isos. Please have a look if polkit-kde-1 and policykit-1 are installed, reinstall them if necessary and try again.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline piper

• User
Re: RE: Re: Problems with running programs as root in GUI
« Reply #6 on: 2012/11/19, 18:31:43 »
Quote from: "der_bud"
Is this a new install? I remember there could have been something with policykit on some Isos. Please have a look if polkit-kde-1 and policykit-1 are installed, reinstall them if necessary and try again.

I build siduction with those included, it's still a no go, at least on my end here.