seduction
 Language:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2020/02/28, 07:52:24

Help

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: D-U-Warning: Jessie released last weekend of April  (Read 3810 times)

Offline musca

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • sid, fly high!
Hello,

since 5th of November jessie is frozen and so sid was partially frozen (aka slushy: only minor updates for bugfixes  permitted). The debian release team has set 25/04/2015 as the ETA (Estimated time of arrival).

The next development cycle will start with a copy of Jessie in the new testing repo named "Stretch" and Sid being unstable as always. Then debian will be unfrozen and a flood of packages will stream into unstable. After 10 days packages without known issues can migrate into testing.

For siduction user this means: Immediately after the jessie release the gates of experimental repo will be opened and packages will run into unstable like a stampede of wild GNUs. (just imagine you want to sort out the zebras ...)

So be prepared and make your last easy dist-upgrade today (Friday, 24/04/2015).

Things will eventually become rough afterwards and so you will better stay away from dist-upgrading a few days.

greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2015/05/08, 00:20:20 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline melmarker

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Prewarning: Jessie release this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: 2015/04/24, 17:12:21 »
In not so nice words - the gates of hell will be opened and there are chances to mess up systems completely. So - unless you really know what you doing - read the apt-output and the upgrade warnings twice before any upgrade. If in doubt, don't press 'y'.

PS: In case bad things happend - a current backup might be a good idea
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline Millie

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/04/24, 20:30:46 »
Thanks for the info, guys. This is my first "season" with Siduction, and it looks like it will be a stormy one for me. A lot to learn.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2015/04/24, 20:51:04 »
Thanks for the info, guys. This is my first "season" with Siduction, and it looks like it will be a stormy one for me. A lot to learn.
My experience is that the "hell" is most for the siduction team, they do a very good work to wipe away the "hell" before it reach us users. Just  wait a little, take care, read the "Upgrade Warnings" before d-u and do as melmarker wrote, check the output from apt before pressing y to an d-u.

Offline melmarker

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2015/04/24, 21:13:25 »
To be true, i don't expect that much breakages or total messed up systems for experienced users - but for new users that never has the chance to play with sid directly after a debian release the times might be rough. So better safe than sorry 8) - Maybe i'm getting old and a little to much paranoid.

For myself i have a plan: Ignore any warnings, install whatever hit sid and have fun - unless the new packages in sid are to old ...
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2015/04/24, 21:29:30 »
For myself i have a plan: Ignore any warnings, install whatever hit sid and have fun - unless the new packages in sid are to old ...
That's living on the edge  8)

Offline melmarker

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2015/04/24, 21:37:44 »
The cool thing about the release is: I don't have to fetch packages from experimental or build them myself. And that helps a lot.

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #7 on: 2015/04/25, 14:35:53 »
Quote from: Millie

Hi Millie, your best bet would be to keep a close eye on this forum

Upgrade Warnings (DE / EN)

Or the IRC channel.

I myself love the floodgates from hell  :)
I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

Offline musca

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: D-U-Warning: Jessie release this weekend.
« Reply #8 on: 2015/04/25, 16:42:52 »
confirmed, the release is in progress:  https://identi.ca/debian
The amd64 images are available for tests.
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2015/04/25, 18:07:00 »
This is my first "season" with Siduction

You rang? ;)

Quote from: melmarker
For myself i have a plan: Ignore any warnings, install whatever hit sid and have fun - unless the new packages in sid are too old ...
Yes! I'm with you. Let's find those packaging bugs!

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2015/04/25, 19:33:59 »
That's living on the edge  8)

Some of us are insane enough for that  8) ;D

Offline melmarker

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2015/04/25, 20:04:38 »
hey - i will be very careful if i hit 'y' - its my production system :D

Offline Millie

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2015/04/25, 21:42:44 »
This is my first "season" with Siduction

You rang? ;)

;D LOL!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is a great forum!

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #13 on: 2015/04/25, 23:13:09 »
First d-u this afternoon (U.S. Eastern) was peaceful.  LibreOffice, open-symbol fonts, curl, and some libraries came in, but there was no trouble.  Maybe tomorrow will be more exciting.   ;D
Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO, 2@WD1003FZEX in BTRFS

Offline cas

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2015/04/27, 21:04:33 »
Just out of curiosity. What does this mean?

So - unless you really know what you doing

read the apt-output and the upgrade warnings twice before any upgrade.

yes, I read the apt-output, etc, but this obviously doesn't qualify me, calling myself "I really know what I do"   8)

So, what kind of experience, knowledge is meant?

greetings, C