Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] KDE Breeze Dark theme issues  (Read 5979 times)

Offline sunrat

• User
[EN] KDE Breeze Dark theme issues
« on: 2015/11/23, 10:13:49 »
It just doesn't work properly. Text colour and background is changed in some places and not others, but not always the same places so often hard or impossible to read.
Any ideas or suggestions?
This occurs in KTorrent as shown, Digikam, Ksnapshot and Amarok and maybe others. Other programs such as Dolphin and Gwenview seem fine.  ???

Indian Summer 64bit recently installed and d-u a couple of days ago.

Code: [Select]
roger@brain:~$ inxi -b
System:    Host: brain Kernel: 4.3.0-towo.3-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.4.2
           Distro: siduction 14.1.0 Indian Summer - kde - (201411230337)
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: EP45-UD3R v: x.x Bios: Award v: F3 date: 09/18/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8500 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2000/3166 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 3840x2160@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.55
Network:   Card: Atheros TP-Link TL-WN821N v3 / TL-WN822N v2 802.11n [Atheros AR7010+AR9287] driver: ath9k_htc
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 6116.2GB (33.6% used)
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 2058.3/3956.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.28

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: KDE Breeze Dark theme issues
« Reply #1 on: 2015/11/23, 14:47:56 »
Go to  /etc/xdg/gtk-2.0 and /etc/xdg/gtk-3.0

open gtkrc  (gtk-2.0) and make it look like

#include "/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#gtk-theme-name="Adwaita"
gtk-icon-theme-name="hicolor"
gtk-font-name="Droid Sans 9"
#gtk-cursor-theme-name="Adwaita"

open settings.ini  (gtk-3.0) and make it look like

#gtk-theme-name=Adwaita
#gtk-icon-theme-name=Adwaita
gtk-font-name=Droid Sans 9
#gtk-cursor-theme-name=Adwaita

Depending what version of siduction your using, you will have to do the same at (this is reference, change accordingly)

/etc/gtk-2.0
/usr/share/thunderstruck-common-settings/etc/xdg/gtk-2.0
/usr/share/thunderstruck-common-settings/etc/xdg/gtk-3.0
/usr/share/thunderstruck-kde-settings/etc/gtk-2.0

You may have to reboot several times for this to kick in
Tried doing this from memory so I hope I didn't miss a step
« Last Edit: 2015/11/23, 14:51:13 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/11/24, 01:41:10 »
@piper - thanks but that didn't help. All settings were default and same as you posted.
I did have a similar problem with GTK apps but not KDE4 apps with my previous December install - http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5388.msg44079#msg44079
I didn't think GTK settings would affect Plasma 5 programs.
I searched for related bugs and there are several related to Breeze Dark with icons and panels but not windows. I'd love to file a bug but have no idea what package or settings are causing this. Will continue to investigate.

Is anyone else here using Breeze Dark theme?

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #3 on: 2015/11/24, 02:30:23 »
Sorry it didn't work for you, it does however work for me, I also use breeze dark theme, I also deleted Adwaita folders

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita

/usr/share/icons/Adwaita

It does not work right away, that much I do know, 5, 6 or more reboots

I am ready to make another build and install soon, I will take note on my exact steps, I feel I am missing a step here.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2015/11/24, 09:03:19 »
When I played with dark breeze in a virtual machine I cannot remember if there were the same issues with some apps that sunrat describes. But there must be a reason why  I installed and used a theme called breeze-dark-gtk
 Theme:  https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze
 Discussion:  http://kaosx.us/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=6341

Additionally, I changed my color set (stolen KaOS colors from their LiveCD  8) ), and you might play as well with systemsettings-colors-options-'apply colors to non-Qt apps' on/off.

BTW, looking at the versions of packages ktorrent and amarok depend on they are probably 'still KDE4-apps', so hopefully this might heal itself some day or some tools like for example ksnaphot get replaced.
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2015/11/24, 11:23:12 »
This seems to have corrected itself after several reboots and colours are mostly as expected. Strange behaviour!
What I did :
- removed /usr/share/themes/Adwaita
- changed System Settings > Appearance > Icons to Breeze Dark
- changed System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor to OpenGL 3.1

I'm pretty sure the last two were not related to this problem but were mentioned in bug reports for what were similar problems but not identical. There are still some inactive menu items that show black text on dark background such as Back and Forward in Digikam when no image has been selected.

It's still a mystery why the presence of a GTK theme should affect Qt applications. At least some GTK apps I've tried (Iceweasel and Icedove) now are displaying with similar colours to Breeze Dark.

Dachs

« Reply #6 on: 2016/10/31, 10:55:35 »
Had the same problem and this fix worked for me, thanks!