seduction
 Language:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2019/07/20, 11:47:38

Help

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Trouble booting Siduction 16.3.0 after installation.  (Read 563 times)

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
Hello everybody,
I've recently installed Siduction and unfortunately when I try to boot it up I find that the boot up text breaks up after a few seconds and I get a screenful of dots and dashes which fade away into blackness as the boot up progresses,, so I never get to the log in stage. I think it's probably a video driver problem but I'm not sure.
I've got a 2008 Acer Midi tower computer with NVidia GeForce 8400 graphics. Could anyone please tell me what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
CP .
« Last Edit: 2019/03/14, 22:38:02 by Colonel Panic »

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Trouble booting Siduction 16.3.0 after installation.
« Reply #1 on: 2019/03/14, 22:50:11 »
1) You can come to IRC and ask for a new build (devil, agaida, or myself will build one for you.

2) what happens if you do ctrl+alt+f1, can you login as root and do

Code: [Select]
apt update; apt install nvidia-legacy-340xx --install-recommends
3) your video card finally died :(

4) I would go with option 1 if option 2 don't work   ;)
"We're all grown up and don't freak out when a piece of text contains the word 'fuck'. I still don't understand why people think that the word 'fuck' is what would keep certain groups from contributing to the Linux kernel. In all seriousness, it doesn't."

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Offline melmarker

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2019/03/14, 22:52:15 »
The maybe better solution: Spend 30$ on an old computer (half the age)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2019/03/14, 22:56:02 »
I agree, but was trying to be nice

piper3, piper4, computers are older, piper4 has nvidia 7900  ;)
"We're all grown up and don't freak out when a piece of text contains the word 'fuck'. I still don't understand why people think that the word 'fuck' is what would keep certain groups from contributing to the Linux kernel. In all seriousness, it doesn't."

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2019/03/15, 00:36:36 »
Thanks to everyone who's replied. I know my video card is still functional because I'm in a different distro now (AntiX) and the display is fine.
Piper, I tried ctrl+alt+f1 but it didn't make any difference to the bootup - I still ended up with the same screen of rapidly fading garbage.
Thanks also for your suggestion that I should install some new nvidia drivers. I might try chrooting over to siduction from here and seeing if I can install nvidia drivers that way.
« Last Edit: 2019/03/15, 00:39:50 by Colonel Panic »

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2019/03/15, 08:49:21 »
I'd also like to say that although I'm new to the forum, I'm not new to Siduction; I tried an earlier version of the distro and liked it which is why I wanted to try the latest version too. Thanks for making me welcome.

[EDIT: I'm following the advice on this page, chrooting in from Salix;

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-nvidia-drivers-on-debian-9-stretch-linux

It's not ideal because Siduction is based on Sid rather than Stretch, but frankly I don;t have any better ideas right now. Thanks for reading this and fingers crossed that it works.
« Last Edit: 2019/03/15, 13:10:28 by Colonel Panic »

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2019/03/15, 13:08:55 »
IMHO I would still grab a new release from IRC, will only take 10-15 minutes of your time.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2019/03/15, 13:11:42 »
Thanks. If the NVidia driver install doesn't work maybe I will.

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2019/03/15, 13:15:02 »
The build your trying to install is from 2018-05-12, close to a year.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2019/05/14, 09:33:35 »
Thanks for replying. A quick update; I've since acquired a new computer (really, an even older second hand one than my Acer) and siduction installed just fine on it. (and I've just performed a full distro upgrade too).
Thanks for all your help anyway

Best wishes,

CP .
P.S. I don't know how to use IRC, but maybe I ought to learn.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2019/06/07, 20:15:50 »
A further update; I've just updated my installation with no obvious problems. I'm not too worried about getting a new ISO at the moment, though I might at a later date.
Thanks again to everyone who's offered help and advice.