seduction
 Language:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2019/05/26, 05:04:13

Help

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 20 years of KDE  (Read 1178 times)

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
20 years of KDE
« on: 2016/09/06, 17:14:27 »
October 14, KDE celebrates its 20th birthday.

A 20 Year Timeline of KDE
"We're all grown up and don't freak out when a piece of text contains the word 'fuck'. I still don't understand why people think that the word 'fuck' is what would keep certain groups from contributing to the Linux kernel. In all seriousness, it doesn't."

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Offline Lanzi

• User
Re: 20 years of KDE
« Reply #1 on: 2016/09/16, 23:54:24 »
My first KDE was probably 3.3 and i worked for some years with 3.5.x
I really liked it. lots of good feelings when I think back :)

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2016/09/17, 01:46:23 »
I  still have mandrake 5.2  (leeloo) on cd with the floppy's, manual, etc  (kde 1.0 enhanced), back then mandrake was based on redhat 5.2 (apollo). I stopped using mandrake at version 9 (dolphin)

I have quite a few distro's with kde 1.0 :)

"We're all grown up and don't freak out when a piece of text contains the word 'fuck'. I still don't understand why people think that the word 'fuck' is what would keep certain groups from contributing to the Linux kernel. In all seriousness, it doesn't."

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2016/09/17, 21:04:55 »
I used kde long time also, redhat, mandrake, suse, kanotix and so on but when kde 4 came it became to bloated for my purpose, I jumped over board and landed on xfce.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2016/10/13, 21:07:18 »
What is the point of KDE, it seems to be in continuous development never quite getting there. Some of the K apps are very good but a lot come with piles of unneeded dependencies. It was good to see Digikam with the latest Qt5 version minimising it's KDE dependencies  and probably getting more users as a result, I started using it again a few months back I also use Kwin and  sddm but not much else. I recently thought I would try Plasma-desktop it looks OK but nested menus, twenty years of development and that is  progress ? I also added widgets to the panel but gave up trying to find out how to remove them, something so simple on any other desktop, progress, I don't think so. I stopped using KDE 8 years ago and don't see any reason to go back.

Offline musca

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #5 on: 2016/10/14, 01:01:21 »
Hello,
running a gtk2-based application in a gtk3-based GUI is nothing special.
But did you ever try to install a kde3-based application in KDE4?

Yes, dropping all existing third-party applications in favour of a new GUI is crazy, but it allows to renew all applications.
The newer is better, isn't it?

On the other hand all my favourite apps now are gkt-based ... Uh, oh!

greetz
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2016/10/14, 07:48:44 »
As a birthday present KDE 1 is re-released:
 Phoronix: KDE's 20th Birthday Celebrated By Re-Releasing KDE 1
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2016/10/14, 09:34:02 »
Danke der_bud  :)