seduction
 Language:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2019/03/25, 03:00:30

Help

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: KDE does not start full  (Read 315 times)

Offline df8oe

• User
  • Linux von Innen
    • DF8OE
KDE does not start full
« on: 2018/12/24, 09:58:52 »
Yesterday everything was working fine - today kde/plasma starts without loading desktop background picture and missing taskbar. So I cannot start any application "via mouse / gui". I waited more than 20 minutes - no taskbar appears. Fortunately I have left open two console windows at last session which are open now so that I get access to applications via command line  ;) .

I tried downgrading systemd and dependent packages to 239 - but that does not change anything. I tried "kwin --replace &" - that restarts kwin fine but no taskbar at all. I tried rebooting - without success. I can access other PCs running Siduction and will check if behaviour is identical on all of them.

How for hell can I restart taskbar (except kwin --replace &) ?? There is nothing critical in dmesg and Xorg logs - where can I take a look? Is it possible to start a kde/plasma session without loading settings from last session?

I proudly present the first unusable Siduction I got within ~5 years. This is a very good result for a system which bases on "unstable". Millions of Windows users have unusable systems in a much smaller timespan - and I think it can be fixed without new installation.  ;D

Best regards
df8oe

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: KDE does not start full
« Reply #1 on: 2018/12/24, 10:39:57 »
Because we're on sarcasm right now...   ;D

I will abolish plasma next year, because I'm just fed up with this crap and I'm concentrating on LXDE and Fluxbox. You know what you have.

Offline df8oe

• User
  • Linux von Innen
    • DF8OE
« Reply #2 on: 2018/12/24, 11:13:41 »
@unklarer:
You can do that of course - it is your decision. But not mine.

In the meantime I have investigated more:
- the issue is not related to a malsetting in users home directory. It also appears at a clean home directory (created new user)
- when I observe kde starting up I can see desktop background image appears for a few seconds (as usual) but then vanishes.
- after kde started up completely there are windows of the applications which were active during last shutdown. I can switch virtual desktops via "screen corners function". If i click on desktop left or right nothing happens (no menu appears).

Other machines with the same software state do not show the issue. A possible important difference is that this machine does have nvidia graphics card (with nvidia drivers activated) and other machines do not have nvidia card...

Best regards
df8oe

Offline df8oe

• User
  • Linux von Innen
    • DF8OE
« Reply #3 on: 2018/12/24, 13:00:28 »
Update:

I started plasmashell using strace and found that plasmashell crashed with segfault hen loading print-manager. I cannot undestand why (print-manager was not updated yesterday). When I purge print-manager everything works fine again. Reinstalling print-manager brings up a working systemsettings-module - but only as long as I do not restart system. When restarting issue comes up again. It is definitely bound to cups and print-manager. And does not appear on any other machine.

Suspected...

Best regards
df8oe

Offline piper

• Global Moderator
  • User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #4 on: 2018/12/24, 13:27:10 »
You can try the 415.25 nvidia drivers (experimental), I have no problems with them :)

Can you try this

You can go back to 240 systemd and/or the other shit that was downgraded with it

You can make a file called systemd.conf in

Code: [Select]
/etc/security/limits.d
and edit systemd.conf to look like

Code: [Select]
* hard nofile 524288
save/close/reboot

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=917167#37
« Last Edit: 2018/12/24, 13:33:07 by piper »
"We're all grown up and don't freak out when a piece of text contains the word 'fuck'. I still don't understand why people think that the word 'fuck' is what would keep certain groups from contributing to the Linux kernel. In all seriousness, it doesn't."

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz